> The issue is "restitution" vs "retribution/revenge".

Agreed.  Perhaps I wasn't clear.

When i said Libertopia doesn't do "Punishment" well,  i was considering this
a positive aspect.

Even if considered in the negative light,  I think it would be a good
exchange to make for a society and a culture built around respecting the
individual.

But indeed, that would make it very difficult to strike fear into the heart
of an evil doer....

Unless he could do math.

If A Murdered B,  And B's family got a judgement against him, they could
sell the debt to a collection agency.

A could travel the world and hide in the deepest holes,  but the kinds of
mooks and palookas who repo cars and think "Dawg the Bounty Hunter" is cool
would chase A to the ends of creation, hounding him to pay his debt

Which is accruing interest.

-*-

Okay.  So I am Acme Collections.  Bubba and Squinty Rico just caught A and
shook him down for a few ounces of silver.

A owes me a couple of pallets worth of gold.

I had better figure how to put A to work in a very lucrative way.

What does our gallery think of a long term labor contract?  Functionally
this would wind up being a sort of light weight indentured servitude.  But I
can't imagine any other way to take an ordinary Joe and recover what, in
todays money would wind up being something like a million and a half
dollars.  That kind of bread is outside of most ppeople's expected life time
earnings.

On another list I figured there might be a sort of "Extreme Stunts" game
show where desperate people are offered large piles of money to do stupidly
dangerous yet entertaining things.

Like mixing Extreme Sports with Japanese Game shows.

"Could an untrained person really land an airplane by being talked down by
the tower?  If Mister A succeeds, we'll pay twenty percent of his
murder-debt.  Is he that desperate?  Is he that crazy?  Stay Tuned for the
Zack Bass Show and Find out!"

But I am having a hard time figuring out how else Mister a might pay down
his debt.

Jay ~meow!~