On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 22:03:13 +0200
Marc Lehmann <schm...@schmorp.de> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 02:30:21PM +0800, "jianhuizhao...@gmail.com"
> <jianhuizhao....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is recommended to switch from cvs to github.
>
> By whom? The evaluation of the FSF for example gave github the worst
> rating, an F.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

He probably meant meant git (although then using github.com is a
logical choice).

One of the reasons that switching to git makes sense is that
CVS is simply outdated. I switched all my projects to git years
ago already. The reason that it is outdated is mostly because
of technical differences that boil down to the fact that git
allows easy cooperation between (many) developers. The workflow
is well fleshed out and supported.

CVS still does the job, but it is for example way harder to
work on a project with more than one maintainer; mailing patches
is hardly something of this time.

Even if you think "I don't WANT other people to mess with
my project; I want to be in full control as the only God-developer"
then still that is not really reason to fear git: it will STILL
be easier for you to maintain libev and review patch proposals,
and you can still reject everything. At most the chance that
someone forks you, write a few awesome improves that you refuse
to merge and people start using their close instead of yours,
is slightly larger; because through github it is easier to find
people who cloned projects - and their patches - even if the
mother project didn't accept their pull requests. That would maybe
be bad for you, but it certainly isn't bad for the community ;)
A little bit of competition is healthy (ie, in the above scenario
you'd probably decide to take the time to look at those awesome
new improvements and merge them into your repository, instead of
losing your client base).

Regards,

--
Carlo Wood <ca...@alinoe.com>