Hi, all!

Now that Libevent 1.3 is out, it's time for Patches Less Obvious.

One longstanding problems has been that it's not possible to include
event.h unless you first define u_int8_t, u_int32_t, struct timeval,
and so on.  It wasn't possible for event.h to do so itself, since the
info needed to decide whether to define those existed only in the
config.h file created by autoconf.

Here is a patch that solves this problem by renaming "config.h" to
"evconfig.h", making it get included from "event.h", and installing it
as a header file to $PREFIX/include.  This way, people on platforms
like mingw and Solaris will be able to build projects that use mingw
correctly.

This isn't a new or controversial approach, so far as I can tell: many
other projects, like mysql, postgresql, glib, expat, firefox, SDL,
python, and so on, do the same thing.  (For an approximate list, run
"ls /usr/include/*/*config.h" on your favorite _nix machine.)

The patch is here:

    http://www.wangafu.net/~nickm/libevent_evconfig_patch/evconfig.diff

In addition to this patch, you'll need to rename WIN32-Code/config.h
to WIN32-Code/evconfig.h.

You'll need to re-run aclocal, autoheader, autoconf, and automake
after applying this patch.  I have not tested it on all platforms.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson