On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 08:31:32AM -0700, Niels Provos wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> I am not sure if this is necessarily the right way to go for a
> library, esp if it can impact backwards compatibility for
> bufferevents.  As for reducing the size of the library, do you really
> think that 30K make a difference these days?
>
> Niels.

It won't impact backwards compatibility unless someone explictly removed
support for bufferevents. Additionally, where do we draw the line on
what makes a difference these days, when it comes down to it? 1M? 2M?
On a typical *bsd/linux platform, I agree, it won't make a significant
difference at the end of the day. I also agree that using autoconf and
automake to manipulate things is a hack in itself (they always feel like
a hack unfortunately). I also don't know how many people are using
libevent on smaller platforms (embedded, etc) but I thought that perhaps
it could have had some kind of benefit.

Part of my impetus was based on this post which directly identifies some
concerns and ideas: