On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 08:54:03PM -0200, Rodrigo Campos wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Rodrigo Campos <rodrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Niels Provos <pro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> We are moving away from making structures accessible.   If you want to
> >> change the call back argument, you could delete the event and re set
> >> it.
> >
> > I dont want to change it. I want to free it :)
>

> Sorry to ask again, but if you are moving away from making structures
> accessible, do you plan to provide some funtion to get them ? (I'm
> particulary intrested in the ev_arg)

So, here's the plan.  In libevent 2.0, we're splitting most headers
into three separate headers, and keeping the old header names for
backward compatibility.

   For example, if you #include <event.h>, you'll get all the
   functions and structures that you get now, and most of your code
   should still work.

   If you include <event2/event.h>, you'll only get the non-deprecated
   functions.

   If you include <event2/event_compat.h>, you get the deprecated
   functions for backward compatibility.

   If you include <event2/event_struct.h>, you also get the structure
   declarations.  If you do this, we explicitly disclaim promises of
   forward-compatibility: structure layout will not change
   gratuitously, but it is likely to change between versions.

If there's something that you need to get at, or free, or whatever,
and you need to be forward-compatible about it, the right solution is
probably to participate in libevent development, and make sure that
there is a function declared in event2/event.h (for example) to access
whatever the field is.

yrs,
--
Nick