Greetings,

I built a small proof-of-concept and I've been suggested to share it with the community.

The tool consists of a vulnerability scanner based on Libguestfs.

The tool lists all the installed applications within a disk image and queries a CVE database via REST interface. The data gets aggregated in order to provide a report of the vulnerable applications within the disk image.

Here's a concrete example:
http://pastebin.com/w6DZkwCg

A possible use case could be the vulnerability assessment and management of Cloud instances.

The tool is part of a library I've been building to help automating security assessment and forensics analysis of disk images.
https://github.com/noxdafox/vminspect

I did not test it much yet. Therefore, it might raise several false positives or miss important vulnerabilities but considering it's ~ 100 lines of Python code, I'd say is a good starting point.

The tool is relying on cve-search REST APIs to retrieve the vulnerability list.
https://github.com/adulau/cve-search