+-- On Tue, 18 Oct 2016, Richard W.M. Jones wrote --+
| I was able to reproduce this myself:
|   $ virt-builder ubuntu-16.04 --firstboot-command "dpkg-reconfigure
openssh-server" --root-password password:123456
|   $ qemu-system-x86_64 -nodefconfig -display none -machine accel=kvm:tcg -m
|   2048 -boot c -drive file=ubuntu-16.04.img,format=raw,if=ide -netdev
|   user,id=usernet,hostfwd=tcp: -device
|   rtl8139,netdev=usernet -serial stdio
| Observe that it boots without any console output.
| In another window, try:
|   $ ssh -v root@localhost -p 9000
| SSH will hang during connection.
| If you repeat the same tests as above, but using fedora-24, it works fine.
| By looking at the Ubuntu disk image directly, I was able to see that:
| - it boots
| - it runs the firstboot command, successfully
| - the ssh server does not see any connections
| - it is unclear if the root password is being set correctly or not,
|   because we never actually test that
| So this Ubuntu template is all-round buggy, and possibly or possibly
| not there is another bug with setting passwords (only affecting
| Ubuntu).

  I see. Thank you so much for these details.

To follow-up on it, today I created a 'debian-8' guest on the same Beaker
machine. It too had the same issue of not booting with a 'console' parameter.
But saving grace was, it at least shows the grub screen. So I was able to add
the 'console=ttyS0,9600n8' kernel parameter and after that it worked well with
the console.

Thank you so much!
 - P J P
47AF CE69 3A90 54AA 9045 1053 DD13 3D32 FE5B 041F

Libguestfs mailing list