On Tuesday, 8 August 2017 16:34:49 CEST Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> These are generated in many different ways in the various
> subdirectories, and sometimes not generated correctly.  Introduce a
> script to do this in one place, and hopefully correctly.
>
> This is mostly simple refactoring, but I got rid of a couple of
> things:
>
> (1) The ‘make depend’ rule doesn't appear to be needed.  automake (or
> make?)  seems to rebuild the ‘.depend’ file automatically just because
> it is included.
>
> (2) I got rid of the hairy path rewriting sed expression.  Possibly
> that is needed for srcdir != builddir.
> ---

Mostly LGTM, just one note:

> +echo "  OCAMLDEP $output"

I'd remove this, since it the makefile will output the ocaml-dep.sh
invocation anyway -- a better solution should be done by taking the
silent build configuration into account.

BTW, unrelated to this patch, just because I'm noticing them: what are
all the "docs" dependencies in .PHONY?  At least for newer Makefile's
I guess they were just copied from existing ones, but I did not find
any reference/reason for the ones in older tools.  Do you remember more
about them?

--
Pino Toscano