I don't think we really need trim or flush.  They're only minor
optimizations.  Zero is the one which is required.

FWIW NBD allows you to flush ranges or flush the whole disk, in case
that matters (your proposal only allows you to flush the whole disk).

No, for now, NBD requires flush to be sent with parameters offset=0 length=0 for flushing the entire disk. Non-zero parameters for flushing only a range of the disk is reserved for future expansion, if someone actually has a use case for it. nbdkit doesn't expose ranges to the .flush callback.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266