Yes I guess we should push these and test them extensively for 1.16.

As for a filter which sets can_write = 0 but opens the underlying
plugin for writes (the opposite of the cow filter) I wonder what such
a filter would be doing?  One could certainly write a readonly filter,
but that would needlessly dupicate the -r option.  Anything which
makes reads have a side effect of writing sounds dangerous.  Maybe
there is some form of copy-on-read which would do this though?

Rich.