On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 11:56:52AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> It's interesting that awk is required.  I've been attempting to keep
> nbdkit from requiring awk (but we do require sed).
>
> In config.log I see:
>
> $ grep -i awk config.log
> configure:5226: checking for gawk
> configure:5247: found /usr/bin/gawk
> configure:5258: result: gawk
> ac_cv_prog_AWK=gawk
> AWK='gawk'
>
> but I can't tell where that's coming from ...

Autoconf itself uses awk during ./config.status to generate config.h
from config.h.in, and Automake requires it for 'make check' to support
TAP output.  A quick search of the generated configure finds this
telling section:

# We need awk for the "check" target (and possibly the TAP driver).  The
# system "awk" is bad on some platforms.
# Always define AMTAR for backward compatibility.  Yes, it's still used

I agree that we don't directly use awk in any code we've written, but
GNU tools have long assumed that any Unix-like system has awk
available.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.