On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 09:29:47AM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 04:13:36AM +0000, Tage Johansson wrote:
It is possible to add a minimum version requirement in Cargo.toml, I guess I
should do that to make the errors a bit more clear.
It's okay if older platforms can't build Rust bindings, but anything
we can do to make it so that configure detects that gracefully up
front (and the rest of the build still succeeds), rather than
falling apart later during make when the missing feature turns into
a compiler error, is a good thing.  And whatever we do, it doesn't
hurt if we amend README to call out the minimum Rust version we are
willing to support.
^ This is the important bit.  ./configure should disable the Rust
bindings if they can't be built (for any reason, but including Rust
being too old).  This avoids people hitting problems later on.  We
don't control the environment where people try to compile libnbd.

Rich.

This is absolutely possible. I can make so that the compilation of the test-crate in rust/cargo_test will fail if the rust version is to old and thereby disabling rust bindings in ./configure.

It should be fairly easy to support rust 1.69.0.

I will try to send out a new patch series as soon as possible, but I am on some sort of vacation this weekend so it might not be until next week.

--

Best regards,

Tage