On Mon, Sep 11, 2023 at 07:08:48AM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2023 at 02:57:48PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Should have done this a long time ago.  I feel it is about time we
> > change the default of nbdkit --run to imply -U -, rather than opening
> > a public port.
> >
> > Patch series turned out to be a little bit more complicated than I
> > anticipated, but it contains some nice clean ups.
>
> Indeed, just from the summary it sounds like a good idea.  nbdkit can
> take advantage of it immediately, but libnbd will need to continue to
> explicitly use -U - for a while longer (as long as older nbdkit tends
> to be the version still installed on various CI platforms).

Although it might not be useful for libnbd, we could also had a
--dump-config sentinel, something like:

  $ nbdkit --dump-config
  run_default_socket=Unix

(and add run_default_socket=TCP to older branches).  If you can think
of a better name for this ... :-)

> > Last patch updating the documentation wouldn't be applied any time
> > soon, so that the old docs stay around on the website.
>
> Also a good idea.

Rich.

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit