On 4/26/17 2:41 PM, Thomas Richter wrote:
> Please don't worry too much about this step right now, we're very early
> in the process, and a formal review will be performed as part of the
> process which will give all participants the chance to update their
> implementations as necessary. We are currently at "draft call for
> proposal" stage, which means that we are trying to contact interested
> parties on the call, and receive feedback on how to improve the call
> before we finally issue it. This will happen at our next meeting in Torino.
>
> Following that, we will receive contributions - hopefully including
> libjpeg-turbo. This will happen approximately in October at the Macau
> meeting. Following that, we will have time until January to iteratively
> test software and improve it. This will likely follow the typical "ISO
> guidelines" of going through several stages, and will take probably 2
> years. So no immediate worries, and there will be plenty of time to
> update, improve and review the software(s).

Cool.  Please keep me in the loop as to when and what I would need to
submit.

> Lossless JPEG is a horse of a different color, but it is in use in the
> medical market, which is why we seek implementations of it. In
> particular, there are a couple of known misconceptions, which is why a
> good reference has some relevance.
>
> Anyhow, all we need is probably to cover all features of the standard in
> at least one implementation listed in the reference software. If you
> cannot provide lossless, probably some other implementation might. So
> please don't feel forced at this time to implement all of it.

It seems that there is a patch to add lossless JPEG capabilities to
jpeg-6b
(https://github.com/spectra/conquest-dicom-server/blob/master/jpeg-6c/ljpeg-6b.patch),
although I would need to do some work in order to integrate it without
breaking ABI compatibility.

> Of course, I did some tests with Thomas Lane's 6b version, and it
> satisfies these bounds *unless* you use the "fast" option. "fast"
> employs a simpler (scaled) DCT that is not quite precise enough for what
> we need.

Good to know.