Ok. Just so that I understand your point:  you are saying that because petsc
(and other advanced direct solvers) will calculate a new ordering for the
matrix factorization, it does not help to calculate it in advance. However, for
a more basic direct solver, which does not calculate the reordering as a part
of its factorization, it may be beneficial to calculate this reordering in
advance. correct?

-Manav