https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=173690
Bug ID: 173690
Summary: Customize - Keyboard - Remove hardcoded blocks
allowing Function keys to be Assigned
Product: LibreOffice
Version: 26.2.2.2 release
Hardware: All
OS: All
Status: UNCONFIRMED
Severity: normal
Priority: medium
Component: LibreOffice
Assignee: [email protected]
Reporter: [email protected]
Description:
(I made a post about this in the past but never received any responses. I feel
that this is very important. I am hoping that developers will please consider
correcting this issue)
I noticed that there are a good amount of keyboard shortcuts that are hardcoded
to not be able to allow user to "Assign" custom "Functions" to them. They all
seem to be "Function Key" related.
I will provide a list of all the hardcoded keys I found below in the "Actual
Results" section.
It has been said that these keys are hardcoded to be used throughout
LibreOffice, therefore these keys are not available in any LibreOffice
applications such as Writer or Calc.
-I feel that this is very limiting and confusing to users.
-If user wants to use Functions keys to Assign custom Functions, they now have
to remember/skip over various keys, so user cannot put their Function based
hotkeys in any kind of order.
-I feel that ALL keys should be able to be Assigned by user.
-Could still keep these keys current "Functions" as the default, but just allow
user to override them if desired.
-The currently "hardcoded" actions would just be made available as "Functions"
like all other functions in LibreOffice.
Example:
-F1 currently is hardcoded to open web browser help page.
-F1 would be setup by default to "Help" function
-User can override if want to do so in a specific application, such as Writer
or Calc.
-Then user could choose to assign this "Help" function to a different key of
their choosing.
Actual Results:
Here is a list of all the "hardcoded" keys I have noticed that cannot be
Assigned
F1
F6
F10
SHIFT+F1
SHIFT+F2
SHIFT+F6
CTRL+F4
CTRL+F6
ALT+F4
Expected Results:
Reproducible: Always
User Profile Reset: No
Additional Info:
Again I feel this is very important.
Please consider making this update.
Overall I think the `Customize - Keyboard` section is well done.
It does a really good job at presenting all the different keyboard shortcuts
available to the user.
However I have noticed some things that could be a little confusing to users.
Because there are so many keyboard keys / functions available (which is great),
I think anything that could be done to more clearly clean up / appropriately
label / allow all keys to be assigned / etc. would all lead to a better user
experience.
I have been trying to help test/narrow down anything that I think could be
confusing. Here are some other similar `Customize - Keyboard` section related
posts that I am hoping developers/teams will take a look at.
-Current post we are in right now
#173522
#169043
#169045 (Shortcut labels used in Menu Bar)
Thank you to anyone who reads this
--
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.