Bug ID: 116917
Summary: Get rid of special layer "Controls"
Version: 22.214.171.124.alpha0+ Master
Hardware: x86 (IA32)
OS: Windows (All)
If a form is in "Design mode OFF" (live-mode), the form controls are windows
and as such they are always automatically in front of other content of the
page. To mimic this behavior in design mode, the layer "Controls" was invented.
Objects on this layer are always in front of objects in other layers and form
controls are always automatically assigned to this layer.
Reasons for removing it:
* A novice user will not understand, why this layer exists.
* If a normal user is experienced enough to use layers, he will not understand
why objects on this layer are excluded from arrangement (=z-order), even if
they are not form controls but simple shapes.
* Removing this layer simplifies the UI.
* Removing this layer simplifies the code. Current behavior produces a lot of
special cases in the code.
* The file format has no means to store, that "Controls" is a special layer.
* On import of foreign documents this layer is automatically inserted, although
not contained in the original document.
Why it is no large loss:
No wizard produces a form as Draw-document, only text documents and
spreadsheets are used by wizards. So only users experienced in data bases _and_
Draw will create a form as Draw-document. Such users can be expected to use the
arrangement tools to keep design-mode and live-mode visually equal. For such
users an additional command "Bring all form controls to front" would be enough,
if it is desired to give them a tool for quick adaptation. The
visible/printable/protected properties of this layer are available with
ordinary layers too.
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.
Libreoffice-bugs mailing list