On 07/29/2013 03:51 PM, Noel Grandin wrote:
On 2013-07-29 15:31, Stephan Bergmann wrote:

However, I do not know how to trigger that (Windows-specific anyway)
code, but I would like to be able to verify that the new code works as
intended (whether or not the old code did) before backporting this to
libreoffice-4-0 and -4-1.

Normally, those messages would be used by the Windows context menu stuff
to run commands for individual files e.g. PRINT and OPEN.

But it looks like our file associations are configured to simply exec()
a new copy of LibreOffice.

Way back in the day DDE was also used as a primitive form of
Inter-Process Communication, but that has long since been superceded by
COM/OLE.

So I'm guessing that this code is pretty dead.

So, any attempt of mine at digging deeper here went back to square one (like, you can associate a file extension with a "ddeexec" command in the Windows registry, but then need to come up with the syntax for that command yourself anyway), so I finally decided to give up and keep the code as is for now, with at big fat warning at <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=04f4d4bfb708ef477618fa47d5f17779f4e4cf3c> "Add TODO comment expressing doubts about existing code" (and got the whole thing backported to libreoffice-4-1 towards 4.1.1).

If anybody wants to pick up from there, that would be most welcome.

Stephan