Michael, Stefan,

thanks for your time and for making me feel guilty for not joining the devs bandwagon ;-)

Le 18/02/2012 19:45, Stefan Knorr (Astron) a écrit :

On 18 February 2012 17:22, Jean-Francois Nifenecker
<jean-francois.nifenec...@laposte.net>  wrote:
In a former part of my professional life, I had been an unofficial part-time
programmer (Turbo-Pascal, Object Pascal then Delphi).

Do get involved in hacking if you have the necessary skills and
interest, though! That's the thing that gets the project somewhere.

I know, I know... I guess it's time to have a go and at least check if it is in my reach. I'll read the relevant pages and see what comes. No promises, though.

Sounds like a good idea if you'd stay on ux-advise, I guess.

:)

See also Michael's wise words about self-selection.

Noted.

In any case what always qualifies you most in a meritocratic project
is doing stuff and doing it good (in some subjective way).

Yes, this is how Libre software works. This is a good thing but very big projects like LibO then are difficult to embrace. Even though I've been little involved with OOo (user documentation) , I'm far from knowing what's in the core of the project (of course, the same goes for LibO).

I think you misunderstand the page. It's about people that are on the
design list also being on the user lists (where community support
happens) and also about people forwarding stuff to design where
appropriate.

Ok

Otherwise, this would mean that design decisions are made here by devs
without refering to anyone in the Desing team.

That happens and is IMHO not a bad thing (virtually all things done in
code will affect user experience). This project relies on the fact
that everybody acts in the best interest of it and of course, on peer
review. Of course, mistakes will happen, but that's hard to avoid.

Well, if the project works that way... "If it is not broken, don't mend it".

Best regards,
--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux