Hi Mattias,

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 15:49 +1100, Mattias Johnsson wrote:
> To help with debugging, it'd be very useful for me to be able to write
> out variable values from within the code. Writing to the console or a
> file would be fine.

Writing to the console using fprintf of std:: is possible. I usually
output on the error stream for the debugging purposes.

> std::cout doesn't work with any of the internal (unicode) string types
> like OUString. Is there a way to cast them to something that cout can
> deal with, or is there some logger that can write these strings to a
> file?

The problem here is to get a C string from them: here are some examples:
 * from OUString:
    rtl::OUStringToOString( sOUStr, RTL_TEXTENCODING_UTF8 ).getStr()

 * from String / UniString
    ByteString( sToolStr, RTL_TEXTENCODING_UTF8 ).GetBufferAccess()

I typed those without checking the case... I hope it's OK, otherwise,
just check the code for the correct syntax.

Regards,

--
Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker