On 11/03/2010 04:06 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 14:30 +0100, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 12:47 +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
        Quite; cf. such uncertainty - it probably makes considerable sense to
look into a migration strategy from Java to (insert anything else). Some
candidates might be python for the more scripty pieces (though I hate
non-typed languages), and/or native C++.

What about the existing Java extensions? Quite a lot of people are using
Java to either writer extensions or use UNO Java bridge from an external
application.

Its not, at least that's my understanding, about removing the java-uno
bridge, or removing the *ability* to support Java. Its the thought to
consider not defaulting to *require* Java for the built-in bits, which
probably mostly boils down to defaulting base to a different backend for
file based databases and a redo an occasional wizard here and there.

Out of the over 3400 java files in the repos, over half seem to be tests (some in directories called test/ others in qa/ - is there a difference?), and over 200 are wizard related, so it seems a lot of UI work to port these if they are all indeed part of the default install.

Jani