> - Because I dislike to rely on runtimes that we cannot redistribute on

Aren't you mixing up two orthogonal issues here? Whether to use Java when
building LibreOffice, and whether to have and distribute parts of the
LibreOffice end product requiring a Java runtime.

Isn't Java used during the build also for some *processing* of data? (Which
presumably then is optional, if it is possible to build without Java on the
build machine.) I.e., in theory we could keep that even in a potential future
when the end install set of LibreOffice that is run on the end-user machine
would contain nothing that requires Java.

And in theory one could also imagine a situation where such processing is done
centrally and the results made available to developers, and thus one could
build LibreOffice with no Java on the build machine, but there would still be
parts of LibreOffice written in Java and it would thus require Java for full
functionality on the end-user machine.

(Please, before you start screaming "of course no use of pre-made binaries is
acceptable for Java or anything else, everything should be built from source
all the way", note that my argumentation above is from a theoretical point of
view.)

--tml