Hi All

2011/6/17 Michael Meeks <michael.me...@novell.com>

> Hi Cor,
>
> On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 20:00 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > > Wrt. the upgrade paths we recommend - we can work that out later of
> course
> >
> > Not so sure if that is a wise approach.
>
>         Hey :-) so - first off, the plan is to only shipping the capability
> of
> notifying for an update without immediately lighting up the update
> recommendation server. Also - since we are shipping it only in one
> version 3.4.1 - there is nothing to update to anyway ( unless you count
> 3.3.3 ;-). So the net effect will be (I think) nothing. We have a week+
> to shake out any bugs in it.
>
> > This feature often brought no joy. Wrong information, not available
> > url's etc. I guess there is some work needed to make it work properly.
> > Either in the code, or on the server side...
>
>         Sure - so, as I understand it, the server is notified of the client
> version, so we can build whatever matrix we like of recommended upgrades
> (or none at all), based on the version they are using. That seems
> flexible enough for what we want - and of course, we can decide that
> matrix with some considerable thought later.
>
> > Indeed, above the already mentioned problem, we have the challenge
> > to make sure that the right user does find the right version for
> > her situation.
>
>         Of course - and we also have the existing challenge that people are
> not
> updated, and are running old LibreOffice's with plenty of known bugs
> fixed in them. ie. if we care about quality we want people to update
> through release series .0 -> .1 -> .2 etc. Clearly sysadmins need to be
> able to turn this off, as no doubt we'll do for the SUSE, RedHat, Ubuntu
> etc. versions - but that is not a huge issue.
>
>        So - is there still a problem ?

Yes I think, but it can be solved by a twist on some bits:

LO 3.4.x is in a different path than LO3.3.x . Shall  LO3.5.x be in a
different path than LO3.4.x?

In user space, this means as if a new product landed, with noise on icons
associations, double entries of LO in Start Menu, bla bla bla.

In enterprise space, a bunch of disgruntled sysadmins to wipe old version.
This old update scheme may cause a bunch of headaches. (sysadmin dream:
update LO as easy as update FireFox)

 Kind regards
--
Olivier Hallot