On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Tor Lillqvist <tlillqv...@novell.com> wrote:
>> If we do that, we definitely should then also add built-in mkdir and cp
>> commands in it,
>
> Hmm, or actually, I don't think that will be such a great win after all, as
> the gbuild recipies where tons of mkdir commands are being run typically are
> in a shell expression with && anyway, so they couldn't be run as "built-in"
> simple make commands anyway. Forget it.

Yeah, but maybe there is something to be investigated to avoid fork
when running recipies... I've read somewhere that spawn was much more
performant than fork under cywin (note: I don;t know if make already
do that or not, nor what are the implication...)

Another thing: I think most of these mkdir could be avoided at the
cost of another layer of dependencies: create rules for every target
so that the parent directory is a pre-req target and have rules for
directories to build them... that should put most of the the workload
on make itself an limit drastically the number of mkdir...

Norbert