At 9:42am -0400 Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
Anyhow - as text, this is not terribly convincing; drawing on a
whiteboard would be more so, and with lots of working code - even
more so ;-) I keep hoping to have time to play with ixion with Kohei
in this regard.

Actually, as text it is convincing. So my original analogy to CSS works, but your example of sum(*array) vs for(i = 0...) and making use of SIMD is also telling.

Who is working on these particular internals, if anybody? Do I take from your last sentence that the answer is "partially nobody"?

I would /love/ to get my hands dirty on exactly this kind of restructuring and code work ... if only my hands weren't currently tied to a graduate degree that I also enjoy. Sigh.

Cheers (and thanks for the extensive reply!),

Kevin