On 04/10/15 09:36, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
I have recently noticed a rush of what looks like newbies assigning bugs
to themselves. (Those bugs that have their status changes sent to this
list.)

Doesn't experience show that in a large number of cases, this is wishful
thinking, and once they realise how hard it is, many of them will just
drop it and forget to assign back, so the bug stays assigned even if
nobody actually is working on it? That then might prevent somebody else
(who might me more skilled/motivated/lucky) from working on it.

> Should we make it harder to assign a bug to yourself?

FWIW Mozilla already block bug assignment privileges for new accounts - it doesn't seem like this has caused them any huge problems, so I think copying their approach would probably be a good idea.

New Mozilla contributors are still able to ask to have a bug assigned to them via the bug's comments, and usually this is only done after at least a preliminary patch has been submitted. To request bug editing (and assignment) permissions requires you to have submitted at least 2 patches, or to have found 3 bugs requiring editing [1] - triaging permissions can be requested without any such requirements though.

This won't completely eliminate the problem (I'm guessing some people might give up after they've already uploaded a first, potentially broken, patch) - but it could help reduce the number of abandoned bugs somewhat.

Cheers,
        Andrzej

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=get_permissions.html