On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:05:14PM +0200, 'Christian Lohmaier' via Khaled Hosny
wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledho...@eglug.org> wrote:
> > I believe that feature/commonsallayout (AKA unified text layout) is now
> > feature complete with no known major bugs, and should be ready to be
> > merged on master. I’ll try merge it tomorrow night and hope for the
> > best, unless someone objects loudly.
>
> Not sure whether the wording is to be taken literally or not.. But I'd
> brefer a non-merge way to add it..
> (aka rebase on top of mater rather than doing a merge)

Sure.

> > There are too main issues with the new code:
> > - Type 1 fonts are not supported. They can be supported with some
> >   effort, but Type 1 fonts have been obsolete for more than 15 years and
> >   I’d like to use this opportunity to drop support for them and cleanup
> >   some of the ugly code we have.
>
> This is something that should be communitated clearly to QA and
> Marketing projects so they're aware as well..

I’m not very familiar with this, so let me know if there is anything
else I need to.

> > - We use a bit of DirectWrite to load fonts on Windows, so Windows XP is
> >   not supported as well.
>
> Do you mean just with the new rendering (that could be toggled with
> the env-var), or not supported at all anymore?

I’m not very familiar with how things work on Windows, but we use
DirectWrite library which is available on Vista and higher, and that
code is built unconditional. My understanding is that is means the code
worn’t built on XP, and binaries built on other versions won’t run on it
as well.

Regards,
Khaled