Hi,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:24:33PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > - we (core devs) still retain the perogatibve to do the ultimate decisions
> > on
> >   UNO API changes
>
>       You know - I still really like having some area where people can work
> without asking someone; I think having an "ultimate decision making
> authority" that is frequently wielded when necessary is a net negative
> in general =) It is also just generally a social ill to have to have
> guardians watching left & right and jumping on people - the less we can
> do of that the better.

That is what I am saying though? I do NOT want to change much about where the
decisions are made (core devs and ESC). But these feedback channels might
provide us with a more educated base for decision. I assume in the end we will
have:

- 80% changes are uncontroversial anyway
- 10% find initial discussion, but are accepted once rationale is discussed
  (plus those caring about this are informed earlier an can adapt in the time
  to release -- also learning more about core development)
-  5% find discussion with some clients still disagreeing with core devs. Though
  luck, but no change to the situation before for the most part. Also adaption
  on the client side is still possible and we save ourselves from "all rants
  on release date" phenomena
-  5% core devs learn about a use case they didnt consider and come back with a
  better suited change

>       I would love some reliable way whereby: without asking them we can get
> a dump of all the interfaces they use =) I'm well up for making eg. our
> external C++ bindings less efficient - if we win that =) IMHO making
> good, data-driven decisions, and even better relational decisions [ we
> can go talk to the one user of foo Interface ;-] is -far- more useful,
> the Mono guys had a tool to help with this. I love your idea of getting
> the extension guys closer to us and getting some database of people who
> care about interfaces.

Also a nice idea. Im unsure how doable automatically that is with the
abstraction layercake of UNO, but indeed would be interesting. FWIW, I already
wrote two draft ideas for the budget from this:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/index.php?title=Development%2FBudget2017&diff=140531&oldid=140527

Best,

Bjoern