Yes, we can't protect against an arbitrarily broken system.

I'm not a good systems administrator.  I don't know how to do "please
consider hiding it" without breaking something else.

I think pango is faulty; it needs to depend on how cairo was
configured, but it is testing how the system is configured.

But that's above my pay-grade.  I like this change because it's within
the part of the world that's currently open to me to possibly
(depending on this conversation) change.