On 15/05/18 22:27, Eike Rathke wrote:

BUT, probably for some (stream?) compatibility (or oversight?), for
example the TypeLen() function still returns an int16 value because the
result is stored as an int16 (while seeing that, I think it could be
fixed). Also, for persistent storage UTF-16 may have to be converted to
a different encoding, which may halve or third the theoretical capacity
depending on the actual characters used.

there is a bytecode representation for StarBasic that is used if you store "encrypted" macros inside a document - i.e. the StarBasic source code is encrypted then, but an unencrypted bytecode representation is stored as well that can be executed without access to the source code.

this is of course a silly enterprise-grade feature, but it's possible that it may limit what we can easily change in the StarBasic implementation.