On 26/04/2019 13:43, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Right - IIRC that was very trivial hairlines there, not much value in
> buffering that -

        =)

>>      * should we not disable the SystemDependentDataBuffer ie.
>>        remove:
>>
>>                 if(maEntries.empty() && maTimer)
>>                     maTimer->Stop();
>>
>>        from there we can stop ourselves in the timeout if necessary.
>
> Not sure I get the question - surely disabling the timer helps to get
> scheduler load down? As this code is already inside implTimeoutHdl().

        I rather suspect that adding and removing a timer a very large number
of times has a potentially significant cost. Whereas adding a timer once
- and (when it happens a second later) - noticing there is nothing to do
and removing it has a very small cost once per second. Also makes
logging & debugging scheduler related issues much nicer.

> Just a bit concerned we'd flip-flop between optimizing for different
> cases here - some perf test rig would be ideal I guess..

        If we get the low hanging fruit I guess we win and leave the detail to
the future =)

        ATB,

                Michael.

--