All,

I am a member of the Documentation Team, currently helping to update the Calc Guide. I have found a system behaviour that I don’t understand and wondered whether anybody could explain what is going on?

My keyboard has two Control keys, one located at the bottom left and one located a few keys to the right of the space bar. I had assumed that they would be interchangeable and that I would be able to use either when a Ctrl key was to be pressed. However this assumption appears not to be valid in some cases.

An example where my assumption holds can be found by pressing the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F3, which is intended to be equivalent to selecting Sheet > Named Ranges and Expressions > Manage in Calc’s Menu bar. Both methods display the Manage Names dialog. In this case I can use either of my Control keys, the shortcut works for both.

By way of counterexample, the Calc keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F2 is intended to be equivalent to selecting Insert > Function in the Menu bar and both should display the Function Wizard dialog. However using my left Control key, Ctrl+F2 appears to do nothing, while using the right key, Ctrl+F2 displays the Function Wizard dialog as expected. This behaviour is identical for my native Windows 10 version of Calc and for a Linux version running in a virtual terminal through VMWare.

So in summary, is there a technical reason why my two Control keys are not always interchangeable?

Regards,

Steve Fanning