Hello Miklos,

On 3/9/21 9:14 AM, Miklos Vajna wrote:
Hi Stan,

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 03:50:21PM +0100, Stanisław Jeśmanowicz
<s...@mail2.jesmanowicz.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I noticed that LibreOffice is using the hard coded harfbuzz shapers list in
CommonSalLayout.cxx file (line 470).
I recommend the patch attached to be more flexible.
This take all possible shapers in a given HarfBuzz implementation.
This also allows the use of newly created shapers.

Just repleces line:
-  const char*const pHbShapers[] = { "dt", "graphite2", "coretext_aat", "ot",
"fallback", nullptr };

with:
+  const char **pHbShapers = hb_shape_list_shapers();

Are you more or less reverting 7854d35cd8172b201f1f3ad247860f242e5cb06b?
Can you describe what is the practical benefit of doing so?

The benefits of applying this patch are:
1. HarfBuzz allows the development of external shapers, like graphite2.
   This way, if a LibreOffice is build with system HarfBuzz
(--with-system-harfbuzz),
   then any new developed shaper would work without recompiling LibreOffice.
2. Also in case of using system HarfBuzz, a particular HarfBuzz implementation
can decide
   which shaper to use out of currently existing list: graphite2, uniscribe,
directwrite (so far).
3. Last, but not least, I have developed a HarfBuzz shaper and I would like
that it work on systems
   that have implemented it.

I have send a similar patch request to Scribus people, because thy use also
hard coded shapers list.
But open source distribution of Chromium works with new shapers out of box.

Regards,

Miklos

Regards,
Stan