> Could this have a relation with the work that I still try to do on fdo#40465?

Yes, looks related. Thanks for pointing that out.

> I mean, will my time working on fdo#40465 be 'wasted' time?

If you get that fixed relative soon, nope. But "my fingers are
itching" to get proper mouse-centered zooming... (using Tim's code as
much as possible). No guess when I will have time for it though.

> BTW, currently I'm trying to restart on it, finding the appropiate code
> proved to be difficult so far.

Tim's patch provides some pointers.

To avoid overlapping efforts, please post comments in that bug
whenever you have some progress.

--tml