Hi, my fingers are on fire, it's almost morning in here, so excuse the
so many mistakes and not perfect sync with the video, and that this is
not yet under a version control system.

But here it is: a subtitle for Richard Stallman's video about Software
Freedom Day 2016.

Hope that can be useful around there.

Regards.
Thadeu Cascardo.
1
00:00:08,911 --> 00:00:11,040
Hello, and welcome to Software Freedom Day.

2
00:00:11,948 --> 00:00:14,463
I am Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Movement.

3
00:00:15,503 --> 00:00:18,429
To explain basic ideas of Free Software.

4
00:00:19,854 --> 00:00:22,736
Freedom means having control of your own life.

5
00:00:23,623 --> 00:00:26,507
Having control of the activites you do in your life.

6
00:00:27,614 --> 00:00:30,268
Now that we use software for some many of the things we do,

7
00:00:30,368 --> 00:00:36,757
to have control of our own lives, we need control of the software that we are
using,

8
00:00:36,757 --> 00:00:38,568
that is doing our computing.

9
00:00:38,568 --> 00:00:43,534
With any program, the are two possibilities:

10
00:00:43,634 --> 00:00:46,656
either the user controls the program,

11
00:00:46,756 --> 00:00:49,644
or the program controls the users.

12
00:00:49,744 --> 00:00:51,945
It's always one or the other.

13
00:00:52,045 --> 00:00:54,244
When the users control the program,

14
00:00:54,344 --> 00:00:57,551
that's free software.

15
00:00:57,651 --> 00:01:00,937
That software respects the user's freedom and community.

16
00:01:01,037 --> 00:01:07,136
It's ethic, legitimate, in a way, it's made available for people to use.

17
00:01:07,236 --> 00:01:12,583
When the user does not control the program,

18
00:01:12,683 --> 00:01:16,969
then the program controls the user,

19
00:01:17,069 --> 00:01:21,738
and the program's owner or developer controls the program.

20
00:01:21,838 --> 00:01:27,205
So that non-free program puts the developer in a position

21
00:01:27,305 --> 00:01:29,994
of power over the users.

22
00:01:30,094 --> 00:01:33,071
And that is why it is an injustice.

23
00:01:33,171 --> 00:01:38,018
So, every program is either free software,

24
00:01:38,118 --> 00:01:41,355
which is distributed in a just and ethical way.

25
00:01:41,455 --> 00:01:46,023
Or it is proprietary software and injust.

26
00:01:46,123 --> 00:01:48,796
And we need to kick it out of our lives.

27
00:01:48,896 --> 00:01:53,667
In order for a program to be free software,

28
00:01:53,767 --> 00:01:57,147
it has to give us the four essential freedoms.

29
00:01:57,247 --> 00:02:02,595
Freedom 0 in the freedom to run the program as you wish,

30
00:02:02,695 --> 00:02:05,927
for any purpose.

31
00:02:06,027 --> 00:02:09,081
Freedom 1 is the freedom to study the program source code,

32
00:02:09,181 --> 00:02:13,781
and change it so it does your computing activity the way you wish.

33
00:02:13,881 --> 00:02:19,683
These two freedoms give us separately control over the program.

34
00:02:19,783 --> 00:02:25,099
I am free to change my copies and you are free to change your copies.

35
00:02:25,199 --> 00:02:29,302
But separately control is not enough.

36
00:02:29,402 --> 00:02:32,641
Most users are not programmers.

37
00:02:32,741 --> 00:02:34,918
They don't know how to study and change source code.

38
00:02:35,018 --> 00:02:39,417
But they deserve in participating in the control of what the program does.

39
00:02:39,517 --> 00:02:45,806
That means we need collective control of the program,

40
00:02:45,906 --> 00:02:48,798
as well as separately individual control.

41
00:02:48,898 --> 00:02:52,798
Collective control means you are free to work with others.

42
00:02:52,898 --> 00:02:57,870
To control together what that program does when you run it.

43
00:02:57,970 --> 00:03:03,683
And collective control requires two more essential freedoms.

44
00:03:03,783 --> 00:03:10,388
Freedom 2 is the freedom to make exact copies and distribute it to others when
you wish.

45
00:03:10,488 --> 00:03:16,893
And freedom 3 is the freedom to make copies of your modified versions,

46
00:03:16,993 --> 00:03:20,807
and distribute it to others when you wish.

47
00:03:20,907 --> 00:03:24,702
These two freedoms make it possible for users that wish to collaborate

48
00:03:24,802 --> 00:03:26,853
to do so.

49
00:03:26,953 --> 00:03:31,305
Because whoever makes the modified version with freedom 3,

50
00:03:31,405 --> 00:03:34,352
can make copies and distribute them to others in the group.

51
00:03:34,452 --> 00:03:38,581
And they, using freedom 2, can make more copies of that same version,

52
00:03:38,681 --> 00:03:41,685
and distribute them to others in the group

53
00:03:41,785 --> 00:03:43,155
until they will all get it.

54
00:03:43,255 --> 00:03:46,932
But in addition they are free to offer copies to others,

55
00:03:47,032 --> 00:03:53,102
even publishing their versions meaning offering them to everyone in general.

56
00:03:53,202 --> 00:03:58,928
So, when a program carries these four freedoms,

57
00:03:59,028 --> 00:04:04,518
the user controls the program and it's free software.

58
00:04:04,618 --> 00:04:10,160
I should make it clear that these freedoms should be for all users of software,

59
00:04:10,260 --> 00:04:18,566
both individuals and organizations, whether it's commercial use or
non-commercial use.

60
00:04:18,666 --> 00:04:22,760
They are all areas where we should have freedom.

61
00:04:22,860 --> 00:04:29,469
And, thus, freedoms 2 and 3, when we talked about

62
00:04:29,569 --> 00:04:32,902
to redistribute or to distribute modified versions,

63
00:04:33,002 --> 00:04:36,298
that includes both giving away copies and selling copies.

64
00:04:36,398 --> 00:04:41,187
We are not against businesses as such.

65
00:04:41,287 --> 00:04:44,537
We are against letting businesses have power over people.

66
00:04:44,637 --> 00:04:51,731
But non-free program gives its developer unjust power over the users.

67
00:04:51,831 --> 00:04:56,342
And nowadays developers are fully aware of this power.

68
00:04:56,442 --> 00:05:01,655
And they are constantly looking for ways to use that power

69
00:05:01,755 --> 00:05:05,890
against the users so that they can make more money.

70
00:05:05,990 --> 00:05:11,906
They do this by putting malicious features into proprietary programs.

71
00:05:12,006 --> 00:05:17,382
Proprietary programs now frequently do things like spy on users,

72
00:05:17,482 --> 00:05:23,112
stop users from doing what they would naturally want to do,

73
00:05:23,212 --> 00:05:25,909
impose censorship on users.

74
00:05:26,009 --> 00:05:32,498
They have backdoors through which the proprietors can attack the users.

75
00:05:32,598 --> 00:05:37,159
There are other schemes that they use to sabotage users.

76
00:05:37,259 --> 00:05:44,362
I won't go into all the details here, but look at gnu.org/proprietary

77
00:05:44,462 --> 00:05:51,409
for long lists of examples that are proved by articles in the press.

78
00:05:51,509 --> 00:05:58,927
If you use a proprietary program, there's a good chance it's designed to
mistreat you.

79
00:05:59,027 --> 00:06:05,627
In fact, since many of the most widely used proprietary programs

80
00:06:05,727 --> 00:06:12,818
including proprietary operating systems such as Windows, Mac OS, Android,

81
00:06:12,918 --> 00:06:18,107
have malicious functionalities in proprietary code,

82
00:06:18,207 --> 00:06:25,151
so a person who uses proprietary software is almost certainly being victimized

83
00:06:25,251 --> 00:06:27,254
in these ways.

84
00:06:27,354 --> 00:06:29,584
Once we want to have freedom in our computing,

85
00:06:29,684 --> 00:06:32,832
how do we get free software to actually use?

86
00:06:32,932 --> 00:06:37,282
The first thing you need to make a computer do any good

87
00:06:37,382 --> 00:06:38,710
is an operating system.

88
00:06:38,810 --> 00:06:42,743
In 1983, when I started the free software movement,

89
00:06:42,843 --> 00:06:45,323
there was no free operating system.

90
00:06:45,423 --> 00:06:48,624
All the operating systems were proprietary,

91
00:06:48,724 --> 00:06:53,103
so the only way to run a computer was with proprietary software.

92
00:06:53,203 --> 00:06:59,385
As a practical plan to get us to freedom, I started developing

93
00:06:59,485 --> 00:07:03,620
a free software operating system GNU.

94
00:07:03,720 --> 00:07:07,663
Thousands of others have contributed to developing the GNU system.

95
00:07:07,763 --> 00:07:12,692
And in 1991, it was nearly complete.

96
00:07:12,792 --> 00:07:17,070
All that was missing was one component, the kernel.

97
00:07:17,170 --> 00:07:24,438
In that year, Mr. Torvalds began developing Linux, a kernel.

98
00:07:24,538 --> 00:07:28,651
In 1991, Linux was proprietary software,

99
00:07:28,751 --> 00:07:31,361
but in 1992, he made it free.

100
00:07:31,461 --> 00:07:37,707
At that point, it was possible to use Linux to fill the last gap in the GNU
system.

101
00:07:37,807 --> 00:07:42,151
This contribution is GNU with Linux added.

102
00:07:42,251 --> 00:07:44,795
In other words, it's GNU/Linux.

103
00:07:44,895 --> 00:07:53,280
In fact, when people say the use Linux, they are actually using the GNU system
with Linux added.

104
00:07:53,380 --> 00:07:58,706
But when the call it Linux, they are attributing our work to someone else,

105
00:07:58,806 --> 00:08:01,327
which is not fair to us.

106
00:08:01,427 --> 00:08:08,240
So, please, make an effort to give us credit for our work.

107
00:08:08,340 --> 00:08:14,584
Please, give us equal mention when you talk about the system, which is
basically GNU plus Linux.

108
00:08:14,684 --> 00:08:18,023
Please, call it GNU/Linux.

109
00:08:18,123 --> 00:08:23,380
A political movement for freedom frequently encounters opposition.

110
00:08:23,480 --> 00:08:26,570
The Free Software Movement is no exception.

111
00:08:26,670 --> 00:08:31,681
During the 1990s, as people became aware of free software,

112
00:08:31,781 --> 00:08:34,869
because of the popularity of the GNU/Linux system,

113
00:08:34,969 --> 00:08:39,718
there was a debate whithin the free software community

114
00:08:39,818 --> 00:08:42,781
between people with different political views.

115
00:08:42,881 --> 00:08:46,421
Some of us were free software activists.

116
00:08:46,521 --> 00:08:46,655
We said for our freedom's sake, we must replace all proprietary software.

117
00:08:46,755 --> 00:08:54,789
We got to use free software alone.

118
00:08:54,889 --> 00:08:59,841
Others liked free software, but didn't agree with our political views.

119
00:08:59,941 --> 00:09:04,485
They participated in the community for convenience's sake.

120
00:09:04,585 --> 00:09:11,000
In 1998, some in the second group coined the term "Open Source".

121
00:09:11,100 --> 00:09:15,284
as a way of referring to basically the same programs,

122
00:09:15,384 --> 00:09:20,692
but without raising the issue in terms of right or wrong.

123
00:09:20,792 --> 00:09:24,699
Keep in mind that if you say free software,

124
00:09:24,799 --> 00:09:32,372
then you are talking about a political movement for freedom in our computing.

125
00:09:32,472 --> 00:09:39,126
And if you say open source, you are covering up the issue of freedom.

126
00:09:39,226 --> 00:09:40,698
They are not the same.

127
00:09:40,798 --> 00:09:46,852
You are free to advocate either one or neither or something else.

128
00:09:46,952 --> 00:09:50,661
I advocate free software.

129
00:09:50,761 --> 00:09:56,465
I complain when people associate me with the term open source

130
00:09:56,565 --> 00:09:59,533
because that stands for views that are not mine.

131
00:09:59,633 --> 00:10:04,996
I hope you will give the Free Software Movement your visible support.

132
00:10:05,096 --> 00:10:12,236
I am sorry to say that most of the distributions of GNU/Linux are not entirely
free.

133
00:10:12,336 --> 00:10:18,845
They are mostly made of free software but they contain some proprietary
software as well.

134
00:10:18,945 --> 00:10:24,808
If you switch from Windows or Mac OS to one of those distros, it's a big step
forward,

135
00:10:24,908 --> 00:10:27,668
but it does not get you all the way to freedom.

136
00:10:27,768 --> 00:10:32,583
If you want to choose an entirely freedom-respecting GNU/Linux distro,

137
00:10:32,683 --> 00:10:40,279
please look at gnu.org/distros for a list and more information.

138
00:10:40,379 --> 00:10:47,162
The most important place to campaing for free software is in education.

139
00:10:47,262 --> 00:10:53,623
All level of schools should teach only free software.

140
00:10:53,723 --> 00:11:01,421
To teach people to use proprietary software is planting dependence in society.

141
00:11:01,521 --> 00:11:07,720
It's pushing people to accept the rule of corporations.

142
00:11:07,820 --> 00:11:10,370
Schools should never do this.

143
00:11:10,470 --> 00:11:14,728
For more information, look at gnu.org/education.

144
00:11:14,828 --> 00:11:19,669
Government agencies also should move to free software,

145
00:11:19,769 --> 00:11:25,467
so that they too avoid being under the power of companies,

146
00:11:25,567 --> 00:11:29,473
in many cases foreign companies,

147
00:11:29,573 --> 00:11:33,686
surely, you do no want your government agencies to be using software

148
00:11:33,786 --> 00:11:40,281
that is under the power of companies such as Microsoft or Apple or Google or
Adobe,

149
00:11:40,381 --> 00:11:42,601
or any other.

150
00:11:42,701 --> 00:11:48,410
Look at gnu.org/government for more information.

151
00:11:48,510 --> 00:11:52,588
There is a lot of other useful information in gnu.org.

152
00:11:52,688 --> 00:12:00,907
gnu.org/philosophy addresses many specific questions related to free software.

153
00:12:01,007 --> 00:12:06,217
gnu.org/licenses discusses free software licensing.

154
00:12:06,317 --> 00:12:15,694
gnu.org/gnu discusses the history of the GNU project and the GNU operating
system.

155
00:12:15,794 --> 00:12:23,306
gnu.org/distros describes the various free and non-free distributions.

156
00:12:23,406 --> 00:12:30,068
And gnu.org/help describes ways that you can contribute.

157
00:12:30,168 --> 00:12:33,935
Many different ways and no all of them involve programming.

158
00:12:34,035 --> 00:12:38,133
You don't have to feel that if you are not a programmer,

159
00:12:38,233 --> 00:12:42,201
that means you can't help us. Take a look at gnu.org/help

160
00:12:42,301 --> 00:12:46,481
and see which forms of help you can do.

161
00:12:46,581 --> 00:12:53,843
When you write a program that you recently release to the public,

162
00:12:53,943 --> 00:12:55,335
you should make it free software.

163
00:12:55,435 --> 00:13:01,022
But there are many different ways to do that, many different software licenses.

164
00:13:01,122 --> 00:13:12,937
Please see gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html for our guidance.

165
00:13:13,037 --> 00:13:18,374
Our ways of deciding which licenses to use for a work based on

166
00:13:18,474 --> 00:13:21,840
details of the situation.

167
00:13:21,940 --> 00:13:27,253
In most cases, it's best to release under a copyleft license

168
00:13:27,353 --> 00:13:33,938
to make sure that others can't convert your code into a proprietary program

169
00:13:34,038 --> 00:13:37,490
and use it to subjugate others.