On 7/14/23 18:52, Ignis wrote:
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 15:12:37 +0000, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss
wrote:

I would guess Duckduckgo is much better than the main search engines
such as Google and Bing.  There are several such as SearX which are more
decentralised, but can also be self hosted, which that comes with the
price tag of time, resources, cost and effort to set up and maintain.

Speaking of SearX, these are all still meta search engines that rely on
centralised search engines for the index. I tried YaCy once before, which
is a P2P search engine that relies on a decentralised index, but it was
written in Java and consumed so much RAM that my server crashed.

I miss previous messages but I have to mention that network services aren't free or nonfree; they raise other issues: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.html

I personally use DuckDuckGo and sometimes Searx. They both work with JavaScript disabled and are fast and promoted to be more private than other ones but I guess we can never be sure as they are installed and run on other people's computers so we can't actually verify the program.

Also, there's some other search services I like such as SwissCows.com.

--
Ali Reza Hayati (https://alirezahayati.com)