IMO voting should be done on paper or some other medium where it'd be
relatively easy for peole to audit the election. I come from a country
where elections aren't really at thing, so here I'm hypothesizing how
ballot counting could work on paper: Paper ballots are given to voters.
The process of the voter going into a booth and marking their ballot is
not recorded in any way, but other than that the entire ballot's journey
could be recorded, including the counting process.

The problem with computers in voting, is that even if the voting
software is supposedly free software, there's no way for voters to
verify that the machine actually runs the free software that people says
it runs. Computers are not auditable and transparent in the context of
a democratic process.

(I think this should get to the point, I might elaborate further if I
see the need to.)