Hi

I am not too sure if my experience counts here,  but yes I agree there are a fair number of broken links out there.

I have maintained my own website / blog for a number of years. For a long time this ran on Wordpress, until the person who maintained the hosting was no longer able to carry on.  The website was therefore lost.   I moved to writefreely which uses (personaljournal.ca)

In both cases I could post links to posts on forums, etc, as part of the post,  clearly if the linked post was on word press the link would fail.   I think other would link to my posts too.

With my current blog,  I post about local football team training, I am starting to try and purge old posts.  I feel  there is no point in keeping an old post that is just there to remind people of a training session 2 or 3 weeks ago, let alone months. So I just delete the post.

On a similar note,  If I share an update say a debian point release for 10.x why keep this beyond the life of that OS.

I did set up a team blog on paper.wf (which again is hosted on writefreely.  however this site also stopped working, so my site was lost.

If there is a protocol on what we are meant to do, I am not aware of it

But yeah it does seem to be a problem.

If a website is commercial, then that company has the funds to keep an archive for example, projects, individuals do not always have the funds,  so if funds run low,  then projects go if it means that person can pay for food, rent, clothing etc.

Perhaps this is why archive sites are important.

It is difficult,  I guess in terms of wikipedia posts, someone has to maintain the articles.

Paul