Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 06:46:47 +0900
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Original size Libretto with 160 MB RAM? Wishful thinking? (2)

(I did not get this message back through the list the first time?)

A friend of mine is auctioning a new Libretto M3. A new unit, not a new model.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1236645619

A potential buyer asked him how to upgrade to the maximum RAM
and the friend asked me what do I know about it.
While searching the web to answer his question
I found a reference that gives me some hope
that RAM in this model could be expanded beyond
the 96 MB limit specified by Toshiba.
Is there such hope for other Libretto models?

I knew that this model has 32 MB RAM on board,
and one RAM expansion slot that can be used for a 32 or 64 MB RAM upgrade.
That is from Toshiba specifications.
I also knew that there were two different Toshiba
64 MB upgrades this model can use.

PA2068UJ(S) for Toshiba Libretto M3 1000 1050 1100 1010
PA2067UJ(R) for Toshiba Libretto M3, Portege (3000 ?) 3010CT 3015CT 3020CT 3025CT

Third party products for these models can also be used.
A few Japanese companies make them, and information is only available in Japanese.
Transcend also makes them, they are based in Taiwan, and they have information in
English.
So I looked up PA2067U here:
http://www.transcend.com.tw/english/Memory/Product.asp
and this was the result:
http://www.transcend.com.tw/english/Memory/SchResult2.asp
This result page has two lines for the same Transcend part number TS64MT3010 .
Following each link in turn I can get to the following pages:

http://www.transcend.com.tw/english/Memory/SchResult.asp?modid=TOS069
TOSHIBA  Portege 3010CT, 3015CT, 3020CT

http://www.transcend.com.tw/english/Memory/SchResult.asp?modid=TOS080
TOSHIBA  Portege 3020CT-NT, 3025CT

Both pages have the same information in the header:
Standard Memory: 32 MB
Maximum Memory:  96 MB
Memory Slots: 1
Comments: This system can be upgraded to 160 MB with the release of the 128 MB module.

It is the comments field that caught my attention.
If Portege can be upgraded to 160 MB, is that also true for Libretto M3 ?

I am still investigating this question.
It is also not clear if that 128 MB module is already available or only announced.
Any information is welcome.

Perhaps a more interesting question for this mailing list is:
Can Libretto 100 and 110 use more than 32 MB in their memory expansion slot?

A similar situation exists for the Sony PictureBook.
Sony sells only a 64 MB RAM upgrade for the single RAM expansion slot.
I-O Data recently introduced a 128 MB module that works in the same slot.
http://www.geocities.com/sony_vaio_pcg_c1/
This is not a speculation, this is tested and works.

/ken