Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:14:40 -0400
From: "Michael Hodish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Subject: the new libretto L1

Get it in Hong Kong, it will be in English. Call or fax (no email, they hate
spam) Mr. Charles Ho,  or James Miu, Sunlite Computronics Ltd.
Suite 1130
311 Gloucester Rd.
Causeway Bay
Hong Kong Tel 2576-2067   Fax (852) 2577-8874

That's how the numbers are on his business card. The 8 digit part is the
local number...you will have to be a detective to figure out the country
codes, etc.

Sunlight is an Authorized dealer for Tosh, Fujitsu, HP and IBM. Their main
thrust at the moment seems to be Fujitsu, in fact, I was there today and
bought a larger Fujitsu, but I whipped out my Lib 70 and they got all
excited! Especially when they learned it packed 20 Gb! If only it were fast,
and I had really small fingers!

There were a couple of Libs at this address...it is a computer mall.
Sunlight did not have one on display, but I am sure they can get it.

They are willing to ship, which Japanese companies never are, and, they
speak English.  Also, no sales tax in Hong Kong, in Japan it is steep.  I am
leaving here tomorrow, or I would offer to get it for you.

Ooops, forget a bunch of that... I just called charles, and he says the
Lib's are gray market, so he can't sell them yet, but yes, there are some
english ones here...more on that later.

He suggest you consider the roughly equivalent Fujitsu P-1000 Crusoe 533
MHz, 128 Mb Ram, 15 Gig, 8.8" screen, built in 56 K modem, external floppy
and cd, and mini dock, all for 13,300 Hong Kong Dollars, which is roughly US
$1700

I have seen the Libs in a couple of stores, for prices ranginng from Price
12500 hong kong dollars to 10500. I was not shopping for one, so did not pay
any attention to the details of language or bundled accessories.

Right beside it was a vaio..it was behind glass, and I hnad some trouble
reading the model nr, but I think it was pcg c 1 vr bp. this had b uilt in
vid camera.  coould not see the specs, but am sure they are on line . vaio
also in english., for 13800, and roughly 1000 less without the camera.

I have converted Japanese computers to run English, and simply installing
another version of Windows may turn out to be the least of your worries.
First, they keyboard mapping will be wrong. This can be fixed...it can all
be fixed, I am just advising of the issues. Also, installing drivers can be
tricky, as you may not know, for ex ample, what kind od sound chip is in
use, and it may or may not autdetect properly. Not being able to read the
documentation can make this a bit challenging.

And, of course, you will have no warantee, and buying consumaqbles like
batteries is a bother, etc.  The Fujitsu, on the other hand, is available in
your choice of English or Chinese, with worldwide warrantee.

I know, I know, this is the libretto fan club, but, frankly, I would have
parted with my Lib 70 today...it is just too hard to type on for me, but the
only thing that was similar in size, but with a better keybd was the casio
Fiva, now available in English, but quite widely derided as junk, and over
$1000 US for a 200 or 233 Mhz chip, 64 mb/ 6 gb, just did not seem worth it.
So, here I still am, tyoing with 2 fingers.

Some other shops in the mall...I don't know if they had libs or not: There
are probably 50 stores there, so if these don't have it, ask if their
neighbors might. The clerks were generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

Toy tool tech:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Houston Crest: www.2c-hk.com    phone 2116-3198
GSI computer... good bet, they had some odd stuff, including a Fiva, which
most have dumped due to high return rates...Tel (852) 2576 5139  Fax (852)
2576 5361.

Here are a bunch of links on the Fujitsu:
http://www.google.com/search?q=fujitsu+p+1000&sourceid=opera&num=0

If you wind up callinf Sunlite, please tell them Mike hodish, the Dentist
from America sent you. Never know when I might need more brownie points!

Happy hunting!

Mike