Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:54:21 +0200
From: "Robbert J. van Herksen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: batteries

Hi there (again) Steven,

Spare cells are usually available, but the point is that the separate cells
are point-welded to each other with thin metal strips.
As I guess that you have no point-welder, you have to solder the batteries.

In order to do the soldering, you really need a heavy soldering iron (I use
a 300 watt type).
Bit irons like that have a lot of heat-capacity, so you can do quick
soldering, to prevent the batteries from heating up (they could explode....)
to much (you DO have overheating when you use a small 15 watts iron).

Another point is, that a drop of solder is making the battery longer, so
when you have stringed all the cells, they might not fit in the batterycase.

These were some of the problems when I replaced batteries in all kinds of
equipment, from wireless phones to handheld radio's.

Check it out!!

Cheers

Robbert