Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:46:42 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Stangl)
Subject: Re: Any other Toshiba batteries with the right size cells?

OK, answering my own question:
PA2487U battery packs use the same cells, and have 9 of them, so 2 packs
will rebuild 3 extended Libretto batteries.  Now all I have to do is figure
out how to join the cells together in the Libretto pack (I guess I'd better
buy a heavyduty soldering gun and silver solder?), as the 2487 cells are
all lined up in a row of 9.

Libretto cells:
                    terminals
    tap -+  -+  -+ tap
        -+  -+  -+

2487 cells:
    +  +  +  -  -  -  +  +  + tap    terminals
    -  -  -  +  +  +  -  -  - tap    terminals

Now, the weird part on the 2487 is how the ends are connected together:
    (+  +  +)-tap to PCB in 2 spots  (-  -  -  +  +  +)-tap to PCB

    (-  -  -  +  +  +)-tap to PCB    (-  -  -)-tap to PCB

It looks like the long tabs joining all the cells together should be long
enough to join them in the Libretto configuration once they are cut apart
properly, without adding to the length in any way, so they should easily
fit in the Lib case.  And there are 3 groups of 2 joined together at both
ends, so it will be possible to easily build one extended Lib battery
pack.  The 3 singles left over might take a bit more work to rebuild an
extended pack.

Also, the 2487 pack is NOT glued together, so if you got several, you
should be able to test all the cells, use the ones you want, and if
necessary, rebuild one of the 2487s for resale.

Once I've actually done a rebuild, I'll take pics of the entire process and
post a VFAQ on it.