Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 10:45:27 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] The simple things!

At 11:58 AM 19/01/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:53:54 GMT
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: The simple things!
>
>Hello everybody,

Yo

>I've finally decided to get serious about my 70CT and start using more of its
>capabilities. I've taken it
>on the road with me and used it as a word processor and to surf the net but I'd like
>avoid using hotel
>phone lines by going to a wireless link. Any suggestions on a set-up to do this

I dunno about how much wireless data costs in the US but Down Under, the cheapest way
of doing things I've found is to get a cellphone with an IrDA modem (the Nokia 8210 is
nice and should be pretty cheap as its a superceded model now) then get WAP connected
on your cellphone service (connection is free). WAP calls are about half to a third
the cost of normal data/voice calls round here plus its a normal TCP/IP connection
(going through a NAT but all your protocols and ports are available - IRC, ICQ,
POP/SMTP, HTTP, FTP all work) so its a reasonable deal ... I've successfully used it
on holidays and whatnot to check my email and do a spot of chatting.

>.....it
>doesn't have to be
>anything fancy, only efficient. I'd also like to be able to take an 11G hard drive
>along
>that I use to dump
>data on to from my PC. It is in an external hard case with a USB connection. Is there
>some
>kind of adapter
>available that will allow me to hook it up to my Libretto for file transfers and
>backup
>use?

How big is this thing? It may well be that inside the case is a hard drive that is
2.5" 9.5mm in which case just take the case apart and swap it with the libby's hard
drive. Unfortunately getting USB on something like the L70 is probably going to cost
just as much as getting a new hard drive ...

>I've been meaning
>to get the PA2718U port replicator but just haven't gotten around to it yet

That port rep doesn't do USB IIRC ... it does do keyboard/mouse though. I got one with
mine, thought it was a good idea but after the first month or so I've not touched it
... I found the keyboard, whilst not 'nice' is something that I could get used to
enough such that it doesn't annoy me anymore ... I am thinking of riging up a little
adapter and SerialKeys so I can use my Palm PDA's folding keyboard on it though ...

> - I would like
>to use the foldable
>keyboard I got for the laptop.....and a real mouse as well. For a while I thought
>about
>upgrading to a 110CT so
>I could gain the USB port but my 70CT would work just fine if I could attach my
>external
>HD to it.
>Will my 70CT take Win2000 and is it a good idea to upgrade to it?

Win2k chugs on 64 meg of RAM, I don't like your chances of a meaningful install under
32 and don't even think about it on 16 ...

>I'm currently using the
>original Win95 - I find it kind of
>clunky compared to  Win2000 on my PC at home.

I think thats a function of the computer more than the OS. I use the original install
of 95 on my machine (in fact it was the same install the previous owner used). I
stripped out virtually everything I didn't need and it absoluptly flies now ...
certainly a LOT faster than some of my collegues' PII laptops that they've loaded a
pile of junk on and almost as flexible. I have overclocked it to 100MHz though so that
may have helped but the thing is plenty fast enough to use, for instance, as an MPEG
movie decoder so once I get my 20 gig hard drive (hopefully in the next few days) I'll
be loading all my MPEG episodes of DarkAngel onto it ;-)

>I'm sure this stuff has been covered before on this list so just some directions to
>point
>in would be appreciated.
>I'm a relative novice with the Libretto but I'm learning quickly.....I still love the
>"THAT'S a computer?" comments I
>get though!

Hehe we all love that ...

Hope this helps!

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |