Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:41:31 +0800
From: Adrian Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Out of Office AutoReply: [LIBRETTO] Libretto Digest

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 03:08:05AM -0800, Raymond wrote:
> >Actually, if Tom's autoresponder had quoted the entire digest back, as
> >did happen in a couple of the abovementioned storms, all our inboxes
> >could be stuffed to the gills in 5 mins.  Nasty.
>
> Umm ... I fail to see how THAT could happen given the digest only
> goes out ever X days ...

Not sure about this list, but most list digests also trigger after X
KBs are received.  This is especially useful on busy lists; nobody
appreciates having to wade through multi-MB multi-thousand message
digests every few days.

So the autoresponse I mentioned would be large enough to warrant another
digest (after all, it /contains/ a digest).  Repeat ad nauseum, or till
mail spool overflows, or till mailing list or autoresponding server dies,
whichever comes first.

> it'd be interesting though if he subscribed to the standard list and
> his autoresponder ended up responding to its own autoresponses ...

It would take somewhat longer.  The digest cascade is more immediate,
and far more lethal.

- Adrian