Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:31:27 +0700
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Hibernation / EZ-BIOS strangeness

>>> I left space at the very end of the drive and, guess what, no
>>> corruption.
>>
>> And - it then un-hibernated to exactly where it was before???
>
> That's the really strange thing that I cannot understand and leads
> me to believe I'm smoking something.  Unhibernate works perfectly,
> and it couldn't possibly do so without extended int13.

When I partitioned and formatted my 30GB drive, then re-installed my Win'98
(no overlays, managers, utilities - zilch) 4.3GB, I was able to access the
entire 30GB of the big drive via a PCcard caddy. Even DOS could see it.
However, glitches quickly developed and then it disappeared.

Neil put forward a very likely and entirely plausible sounding explanation
which I am at a loss to repeat, other than to cut'n'paste it below.
Maybe the same thing (or something similar) is happening?

<>> - Libretto 110, 4.3GB HDD, Win'98, no other software involved
<>> - external HDD caddy with PCcard connection
<>> - 30GB Fujitsu HDD - 3 partitions, all FDISK'd in L110 as follows:-
<>> - 1 - 7.77GB FAT32 - FDISK'd from DOS with Win'98 boot diskette
<>> - 2 - 78.2MB FAT32 - FDISK'd with Win'2K
<>> - 3 - remainder (20+ GB) FAT32 - FDISK'd with Win'2K
<>>
<>> 7.77GB = 8,348,737,536 bytes
<>> 78.2MB = 82,073,600 bytes
<>>
<>> The Libretto running Win'98 / Windows Explorer showed all three
<>> partitions on the external HDD(!!!) straight away when the PCcard was
<>> inserted.
<>>
<>> I copied 3GB of data (39,792 files, 2,888 folders) from the (internal)
<>> 4.3GB HDD to the first (sub-8GB) partition on the (external) 30GB HDD
<>> - no problems.
<>>
<>> Then, on the external 30GB drive - still using Win'98 / Windows
<>> Explorer - I copied the same 3GB of data from the first (sub-8GB)
<>> partition to the third (last 20GB) partition - but this time a handful
<>> of files were rejected as uncopyable - bad links / bad files names.
<>>
<>> A short while after this was completed, while playing around and looking
<>> for signs of anything being amiss, all three partitions of the external
<>> HDD disappeared from Windows Explorer and could not be persuaded to
<>> return no matter what. Trust me, I tried everything.
<>>
<>> Finally I removed the 4.3GB HDD from the Libretto, replaced it with the
<>> 30GB HDD and ran Win'2K - a check of the copied files threw up a further
<>> handful of errors on the third (last 20GB) partition.
<>>
<>> No problems were found with the external caddy setup when the 4.3GB HDD
<>> was subsequently installed and plugged into the PCcard slot of the
<>> Win'2K powered Libretto.
<>>
<>> Howzat?
<>
<> Tentative conclusion: w98 is probably getting the disk info from the
<> partition table - so it sees the presence of the post 8G space - but it
<> isn't immune from the ills of the 8G bios when it's accessing it.
<>
<> Now I'm tempted to ask - knowing full well that the MS answer is 'it's
<> fixed in W2k and later' - what the hell MS were playing at when they
<> claim that the disk drivers are 32 bit? As logically, if they don't use
<> the bios as claimed (which is why you have to get drivers for e.g.
<> ata100 drives), it should not be affected by the bios limitations.
<> Presumably w98 still has some bits working in contemptability mode.
<> Thanks, MS!
<>
<> Neil