Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:37:39 +0100 (GMT/BST)
From: Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Phantom disks??

I am looking for some advice from any Windows experts  out there
that think they can explain a mysterious phenomenon I am seeing
on My Libretto 100CT.

I have partitioned my hard disk (IBM 20GB) with 3 primary partitions
of about 1.5GB each, and the remainder in a Linux extended partion.

My intention was to have the original Toshiba Windows95 in the
first partition, BSD Unix in the second (BSD needs a primary partition
which it sub-divides into its own partitions), the third partition reserved
for any other OS I want to run that needs a primary partition (eg NT, OS-9000)
etc.

The problem is that when I installed Windows on the first partition, it
seemed to think that I had two additional drives (partitions) available.

I had expected one additional drive, because partition 3 is currently of
type FAT32, but it sees drives C:, D: and E:??

I formatted drive D under Windows, assuming it to be partition 3,
and that seemed to work fine.

However when I used Linux to copy my old Windows partition from another
disk onto /dev/hda3 (third partition) Windows saw the data appear in
drive E:, and attempts to boot from the third partion resulted in a message
that it was not bootable.  I then copied the same image to partition 1 and
it booted fine.

So Partition E: is what Linux sees and partition 3, but
windows FDISK tells me that drive D: is the third partition
and makes no mention of a drive E:

The final curiosity is that Windows tells me the extended partition is
completely empty. If doesn't show the Linux partitions as non-DOS as
I would have expected, but appears not to be able to see them at all.

I suspect if I asked it to make a logical DOS drive, it would happily
do so, overwriting the Linux partitions. Clearly there is some compatibility
problem between Windows and Liniux created extended partitions which
means that if I wanted a Windows partition, I would have had to have
created that first in the extended drive.

So the puzzle I have is - why is Windows showing the extra drive, and
where abouts on the disk is it??? Is there any way to find out what is
happening without destroying some other part of the disk?

Any guesses?

Here is how Linux sees my partitioning:
rover:/home/digbyt/boot # fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1             1       195   1566306    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda2           196       390   1566306   9f  BSD/OS
/dev/hda3           390       584   1558336+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda4   *       585      1390   6474195    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5           585       601    136521   83  Linux
/dev/hda6           602       613     96358+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7           614       679    530113+  83  Linux
/dev/hda8           680       941   2104483+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9           942      1018    618471   83  Linux
/dev/hda10         1019      1028     80293+  2a  Unknown
/dev/hda11         1029      1290   2104483+  83  Linux
/dev/hda12         1291      1943   5245191   83  Linux
/dev/hda13         1944      2431   3919828+  83  Linux

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk