Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 20:35:28 +0000
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] BIOS problem

>Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:53:24 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "A. N. Bürümcekci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: BIOS problem
>
>   I have a Libretto 50CT. I tried to boot it today but the BIOS
>messages did not come up. I turned it off, but it went to hibernation
>with a long series of beeps. I tried it turn it on several times but
>nothing came to screen. I tried it again after a break and it stated
>that there was no ROM in the system and that I needed to use Toshiba
>key. I have no idea what this is.
>
>   I tried turning it on and off again several times and at one point it
>counted the memory. After several tries it passed that stage and asked
>the password. I typed it but it did not continue loading up the system.
>
>   I do not know how I messed up the BIOS but is there a way to save
>this baby? Thanks.

The bios can be replaced if you have a *720kB* formatted floppy with a bios
image on it - I have 6.50 available on my web site at
www.nbarnes.easynet.co.uk/Binaries/1014v650.exe which is iirc an executable
which will build the proper disc image (it's a long time since I did one!).
Once you have the image, start the machine with the f12 key pressed.

*HOWEVER* it probably isn't the bios: symptoms sound more like dodgy memory.
Try removing the expansion ram, and then reseating it. Maybe you can get
into the bios by starting with the esc key pressed, then f1?

Other thoughts - if the machine's had a thicker disk fitted without the disk
spacers removed, it could have cracked the main mobo memory :( :( :(

Maybe the bios battery? Leave the machine plugged to the mains overnight and
then try?

Neil