Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 16:04:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Asus S200 - Libretto-clone with 800Mhz PIII-M & lighter 880gram weight

Too bad Toshiba is unusually slow at releasing new Librettos.  Both Sony and
ASUS have released notebooks that are much lighter than the older Librettos,
and possess many more features on-board.

The use of the PIII 800Mhz processor in this mini-notebook would put it as my
#2 choice right behind the Fujitsu P-2xxx series notebooks with built-in
DVD-ROM/CD-RW (depsite using a slower Crusoe) as the top picks in
mini-notebooks today.  I still believe having a built-in CD-RW drive outweighs
the minuses of this notebook (basically, slower processor and 1lbs heavier than
the others) because I use the CD-RW drives often.

Still, to replace a slower, older Libretto 100/110 while maintaining the
portabililty, I would pick the ASUS first because it is the only lightweight
choice available that uses the more powerful PIII (Crusoe CPUs run about 1/2
the Mhz rating.  thus, a 800Mhz Crusoe will run about the same speed as a
400Mhz PIII).

In fact, if the real S200 turns out to be as 'nice' as it appears in the
pictures, I may well just upgrade from my own L110 to the S200 -- the
built-in/on-board USB & IEEE 1394 ports alone would be a very welcomed features
(no port port replicators, at last!).  In addition, at 800Mhz, a whole new
world of multitasking video editing, etc. becomes realistically available vs.
trying to do the same on a 233Mhz L110, esp. given the much faster PC133Mhz
SDRAM installed in the S200 which can be expanded to 384MB!

It would be interesting to see Toshiba return to their roots with an even
smaller and more tightly packed version of the ASUS given their use of smaller
1.8" HDs in their latest SS series of notebooks.

d =)

http://taiwan.asus.com.tw/notebook/s200/overview.htm
http://taiwan.asus.com.tw/inside/whatsnew/whatsnew200209-1.htm

A centimeter or so wider and longer than a Libretto 100/110 model, but it comes
with many more features:
800Mhz P3, low voltage mobile model
Up to 6 hours of battery life
1024x600 wide screen display
SD flash card slot
IEEE 1394 DV video connector
USB & VGA connectors
PCMCIA slot (1)
Audio In/Out Jacks
128MB PC133 SDRAM (384MB Max)
20GB 9.5" HD
225*152*28mm, 880grams! (lighter than a L100/110)

=====
adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/

http://faith.yahoo.com