Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:27:05 -0700
From: Mark Srebnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] How to Install Linux on 110CT from HD?

Decided to try Slackware 9.1 install again, from hard drive with floppy
boot...

Tried to do as was suggested in post shown below and found Slackware's hard
drive install instructions , but still have problems...

So would like to clarify a few things and see if anyone has any
suggestions...

I assume the instructions below were for installing using the hard drive for
the install. This is based upon reference shown to the list of files (3
listed).

If so, 2 of the 3 files were slightly different than the ones you list. My
files copied from the Slackware 9.1 CD-ROM are:

slackware/kernels/loadlin.exe
slackware/kernels/bare.i/bzImage
slackware/rootdsks/pcmcia.dsk

Also from Slackware instructions, it said to copy the intrd.img file from
the isolinux directory too. So did that as well after I tried installing
without it.

Put all the files into a directory 'slack'.

Then, I entered the following after booting up with floppy drive and into
DOS, change directory to c:\slack, then entered the at the DOS prompt.

First approach, when I tried to install per post below:

loadlin bzimage root=/dev/ram initrd=pcmcia.dsk rw

Second approach, per Slackware install instructions:

Loadlin bzimage rw root=/dev/ram initrd=initrd.img load_ramdisk=1

Linux starts loading and then with either approach, I get the following
error message:

FAT: bogus logical sector size 5345
UMSDOS: msdos_read_super failed, mount aborted
sh-2021: reiserfs_read_super: can not find reiserfs on ramdisk(1,0)
Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount rootfs on 01:00

So if anyone can provide any input or suggestions that would be greatly
appreciated!!

I have spent hours and hours trying to get Linux installed and going
crazy...

While trying to think of what other issues could be affecting install, I
wondered whether there could be some issue with my hard drive and its setup?

If that's a possibility, I could bite the bullet and reformat and start
fresh.....

Thanks!

Mark Srebnik
Still Frustrated (but persistent!)
Silicone Valley Libretterati Linux Installer