Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:32:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] Mr. Barnacle

Hey Dick...

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Matt, if the component measures zero across it, and that component is
> the fuse, it is good. Other devices, like resistors, may or may not be
> good.

Doh!!  Yeah... I meant to write... "if the resistance across the fuse is
>infinite<, then it's blown".

Are you familiar with what fuses look like on the 50/70 & 100/110 MBs
Richard?  I just opened up my 70 and found the fuse that Neil had me work
on is quite large compared to similar parts on the 110 MB.  It's one of two
such components on the 70 that's visible without removing the heat sync.

The 110 has nothing that looks similar, though I haven't pull the heatsink
on it to peak underneath.  The fuse from the 70 wouldn't even fit under a
heatsink.  There are about a dozen similar components on the 110 MB that
are about 1/3 the size of that 70 fuse, and quite a number even smaller.
It doesn't seem any of those would be a fuse.  But I'd think a fuse would
look physically different, unless there are 1-2 dozen fuses on the board.
That doesn't seem likely.

> Usually you are measuring more than just the resistor when you
> place your meter leads across the resistor - you also get parallel paths
> from other components connected to the resistor.

That's where my circuit testing abilities become severely handicapped.
Measuring one component on its own I can deal with.  Components within
circuits on the other hand....   [EMAIL PROTECTED](*%!

Matt